Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy Imbolc!

It's just before dawn and I have collected my Brigid's cloak - a green scarf I knitted.  I set it out in the garden at sunset to spend the night under the moon.   From www.brigidscloak.com"Traditionally, the brat bhríde, or Brigid’s Cloak, was laid outside before sunset on the eve of Brigid’s Feastday, 1st February, and brought back in before sunrise. Blessed by Brigid, ancient Spring goddess and saint, the dew which fell that night imbued the cloth with powers of healing and protection which lasted throughout the year."



My altar is decorated with red, green and white.  I fashioned a Brigid's cross from some pipecleaners I bought a long time ago to use for Christmas - the colors are perfect for Imbolc: white for the melting snow, green for new growth and red  for the rising sun or blood of life. I found a kalanchoe plant at the grocery store with red star-shaped flowers.


Ribs are marinating in the frig for tonight's dinner.  My "cakes and ale" food of choice for tonight's ritual is homemade salsa - red tomatoes, green jalapenos, white shallots.  I'll be baking vet-approved muffins for Rahja, my son and daughter-in-law's dog.
I will spend time today cleaning my house and yard - ridding both of last year's clutter and giving new life to some things by donating them.  Then I will walk through the house with incense, salt and water and do a ritual cleansing.
Tonight I'm having Jarrod and Sharee (above mentioned son and daughter-in-law) over for dinner - the ribs, white mashed potatoes, green broccoli and salad, red strawberry cupcakes for dessert.  After they leave, I will light a bonfire to end the sabbat.
May you have a happy and blessed day!

5 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Enjoy your evening~
    Blessed be!
    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. How organised (I wish I could be as such) - mine was spent with a few friends, although with reverence, not as specifically particular ... this time!
    Thanx for posting - Keep the faith
    Blessed be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, Billy, I'm usually not ready for the sabbats - that's my goal this year. At the end of the day, though, it's what's in your heart that counts - not that you have the right color candle on your altar! Thanks much for your comment!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete