Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pagan Blog Project - Dwarves


Each day when I cast my circle, the first element I call upon is the earth, represented by the little bowl of salt on my altar above.  I invoke all four elements by their spirits, and dwarves are the earth elemental. 

They are the stewards of all that grows and I ask their blessing in tending my garden and houseplants.  When I bought my home about 3 years ago, there was a birdbath in the front yard.  It was only after I began studying Wicca that I realized there were dwarves carved into it!


Another of those "happy coincidences" we often find in our lives.  Dwarves are skilled craftsmen and I ask for their inspiration in my sewing.  They are grounded, in touch with the earth and her seasons - new life, growth and maturity, abundant harvest, and dormancy and rest to begin the cycle anew.  We draw strength and nourishment from the earth.  She gives us two of my favorite offerings - bread and beer!  As an earth sign (Capricorn) I feel an affinity with dwarves (it could also be because I'm short!).  There is nothing that brings me more peace and joy than sitting in my garden and feeling surrounded by both the visible and invisible faces of nature.  Next time you catch a movement out of the corner of your eye, be glad and know that you may have just spotted an elemental!
More info on correspondences can be found at the link here: http://www.wicca.in/the-wiccan-elements/
For an interesting perspective on the history of elementals, read this: http://www.angelfocus.com/elementals.htm

5 comments:

  1. Oh I really like this ! I am a capi too born on the cuspe ☺
    are dwarves the same as gnomes ? because as a child I was extremely into gnomes . My gramma gave me a huge book on gnomes I loved it so much . I now read it with my grandson ☺
    I am very much an earth based person then air .perhaps a bit of fire but least of all water .
    Thanks so much for this post and the links ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as earth correspondences go, dwarves and gnomes are interchangeable, so it makes sense you would be drawn to them. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete